An important part of moving your business forward each year is to set realistic goals for your team. Most family businesses know how to set business goals but often overlook setting personal development goals for their team.
To help you move forward this year I put together a list of 14 ideas that I think are very doable and reasonable for your family business. All of the goals are based upon goals I have helped families create and implement over the past 10 years.
At most of the companies I work with, we help identify a champion or owner of the goals. In order for your family to move these goals forward they’ll need to have a champion and owner or a set of owners who are committed to creating the goal and making it happen.
14 Ideas from Coach Pete for Your Family Business this Year
- Create a New Starting Point (Forgive and Move Forward)
- Conduct a Personality Profile on Everybody
- Explore & Express Your Family’s Values
- Create a Family Business Vision Statement
- Schedule a Family Event to Build Camaraderie
- Schedule a Monthly Strategic Dinner
- Start a Next-Generation Collaborative Project
- Create an Employment Policy for the Next-Generation
- Have a Communications Style Workshop
- Have a Conflict Style Workshop
- Give Each Other Performance Reviews
- Schedule a Family Summer Meeting
- Explore Pruning the Family Tree
- Explore Selling the Business
If I can help in any way, please don’t hesitate to reach out for a little bit of encouragement or advice in terms of how to implement a goal.
If you’d like to see me give you more detail on each of these goals check out this short video I made on this topic. Watch my video here.
Remember your team’s got to practice to play to its potential!