I have the pleasure and honor to get to be a part of many very strong, sustainable families. I’ve noticed a common theme – strong leaders.
Here’s a list of high value traits you can consider as you look at the leadership in your own family. Also included are traits you might want to evolve to as a family leader.
Great Family Leaders
- Don’t shy away from encouraging, inspiring and almost demanding that the family keep raising its game.
- Realize with success can come entitlement, and a false sense of long-term security. They realize they need to help the family stay hungry and resilient.
- Don’t alienate or marginalize subpar performers in the family. They create a framework to help others become stronger or find what professions or lifestyle that allows them to thrive.
- Have a clear vision and create venues for everyone in the family to put their fingerprints on creating an even bigger or more sustainable vision for the family.
- Are humble and can be strong and inspirational, yet open-minded and vulnerable.
- Can be patient and understand winning in the family business game is a long, arduous process.
- Can check their own ego at the door and realize the overall health and success of the whole family is the most important reward rather than an individual accomplishment.
- Aren’t afraid to help the family navigate the difficult conversations and make it happen.
- Can evolve because they know the culture is evolving and the family must evolve to meet the needs and interests of the next generation.
- Are completely comfortable with the fact that the family may never entirely understand or appreciate what they have done for the family’s success.
Consider sharing this list with your family members and having everyone think about current leadership in the family.
Leadership matters now more than ever. Keep learning, growing and evolving your leadership capacity and you will be well on your way to creating a sustainable, strong future for your family.
Play to your potential!
Pete Walsh offers family business consulting services, workshops, tools and resources as the founder of the Family Business Performance Center. Subscribe to his newsletter or get in touch to get actionable insights to help your family business grow for generations to come.
This exercise and many more are in my Family Business Playbook to help your family win!